Nutrition is the building blocks of our life.Basically nutrition is the study of food at work in our bodies,our source of energy and,the medium for which nutrients can function.The most essential nutrients for life include carbohydrates,proteins,fats as well as fiber vitamins,minerals and water.The absorption of nutrients starts as soon as we begin to digest our food. Good nutrition means getting the right amount of nutrients from healthy foods in the right combinations.
Importance of good nutrition
- Eating a balanced diet is vital for good health and well being.
- Nutrition is just one key to developing and maintaining good health.
- Good health is defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being — a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
- We need a variety of different foods to provide the right amount nutrients for a good health.
- A good and healthy diet provides us the strength to fight with many diseases
What causes poor nutrition?
1.Poor eating habits include under or over-eating.
2.Not having enough of the healthy foods we need each day.
3.Consuming too many types of food and drink, which are low in fiber or high in fat, salt and/or sugar.
4. Ageing process is also a barrier in good nutrition.
5.Depression and stress can also be the reasons of poor nutrition.
Nutrition risk factors
- The absence of essential nutrients in our body can lead to many serious diseases like coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, atherosclerosis, obesity, some forms of cancer, Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, dental caries, gall bladder disease, dementia and nutritional anemia.
- Poor nutrition can also lead to tiredness,stress,illness.
- Poor nutrition can reduce our ability to reduce our ability to lead a healthy life.
- It can also lead to other health problems like obesity,high blood pressure,depression.
- Poor nutrition can also have adverse effect on our memory.
What is national nutrition week?
National nutrition is observed every year from 1st September to 7th September to aware people about health and well being.Through this campaign people from all around the world can be educated to maintain their look and feel in a better way.
Not only this through such campaigns people can be made aware about their food groups and balanced diet from which they can get good nutrients helpful for their body.
The objective of the National Nutrition Week is to enhance the nutritional practices awareness among the people. The one week campaign involves one day training,preparing the healthy food with nutritious stuff,an exhibition by the students of home science,various competitions,nutritional lectures to mothers,road shows,seminars etc.